About Open at Scale
Open at Scale is a targeted approach to open educational resource (OER) development. It is the decision to focus on a single subject vertical, identify gaps in the landscape, leverage existing assets and build out the rest. The Open at Scale approach originated in Ontario through conversations with passionate practitioners and leaders that saw an opportunity to pursue open education at a systemic level. Open at Scale projects are designed by and for Ontario institutions and supported by eCampusOntario.
About the Open at Scale – Business OER Project
The Open at Scale – Business OER Project focuses on savings for Ontario Business students and high impact, flexible learning resources for faculty.
The following elements were identified as critical to success:
- Modular development to support maximum flexibility and reuse across institutions
- Integration of leading technology to support learning
- Development of additional resources to support teaching
Representatives from post-secondary Business schools across Ontario engaged in collective visioning for the project and co-designed key elements. Through those conversations, it was determined that the following business courses would be prioritized for maximum student benefit and savings:
- Business Fundamentals / Intro to Business
- Business Mathematics
- Business Communication / Professional Writing
- Intro to Marketing
- Intro to Human Resources
- Financial Accounting / Intro Accounting
- Intro to Business Computing
- Organizational Behaviour
At the same time, an environmental scan was conducted to uncover existing Business OER and Business faculty, librarians and instructional designers contributed to the development of a common instructional design template to guide future resource development.
The Business Open at Scale project team is now considering plans for the following elements:
- Potential for institutions to adopt the Fundamentals of Business: Canadian Edition into Business Fundamentals / Intro to Business courses, and Communication for Business Professionals into Business Communication / Professional Writing courses for the Fall 2019 term.
- Training and support regarding Creative Commons licensing, Pressbooks, and Open Education more broadly.
- Opportunities for institutions to be involved with the OER development for the 9 prioritized business courses.
- Support for faculty champions to review resource materials.